Deschutes Bachelor ESB is a spectacular beer. Served almost exclusively in the brewery’s pubs and tasting room, this session Bitter is a local’s favorite (this local has logged more time with this beer than any other). I have tried several times to clone this beer but never hit the mark. I mostly attribute this to not enough time to get rid of each iteration’s beer, combined with a general tendency to get distracted on other things life throws my way. With smaller batch volumes, however, I can brew, bottle, drink, and make adjustments for each attempt producing the target profile I am after, so I have reset my sights on fine-tuning a version of this beer that I can add to my list of frequently brewed recipes.
Bachelor ESB is an american expression of a classic English Bitter, not far removed from its source of inspiration. This Bitter is medium bodied, 5% ABV, and is mildly bittered with american hops grown her in the pacific northwest. It is my ideal session ale.
What follows is the first round of brewing, plus take-aways. I will updating this post with a link to the post detailing the round of brewing once that is finished.
|Batch Size||Boil Time||IBU||SRM||Est. OG||Est. FG||ABV|
|1 gal||60 min||38.9 IBUs||8.8 SRM||1.054||1.015||5.1 %|
|Pale Malt (NW)||1.7 lbs||82.42|
|Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L||2.8 oz||8.48|
|Munich Malt - 10L||0.8 oz||2.42|
|Munich Malt - 35L||0.8 oz||2.42|
|Light Dry Extract||0 oz||0|
|Amarillo||0.1 oz||60 min||Boil||Pellet||10.4|
|Galena||0.05 oz||25 min||Boil||Pellet||15.2|
|Amarillo||0.05 oz||20 min||Boil||Pellet||10.4|
|East Kent Goldings (EKG)||0.1 oz||2 min||Boil||Pellet||4.5|
|East Kent Goldings (EKG)||0.2 oz||5 days||Dry Hop||Pellet||5|
|Ringwood Ale (1187)||Wyeast Labs||70%||64°F - 74°F|
|Mash In||152°F||60 min|
At the LHBS, they didn't have EKG's, subbed domestic Goldings.
They didn't have 20L munich, so went for 1/2 Munich 8-10L, 1/2 Dark Munich 35L.
Was looking at strike water temperature, and nailed plan of going over by 9 degrees or so (so that I could stir it until it reached optimal strike water temperature). After pouring in the strike water, I didn't stir it down to 163.8. I just began mashing in. This triggered the impromptu task of juggling cold / hot additions to reach the target 152 mash temp.
1st run: after 60 min, temp was 142 (shit ... lost a lot there). Brix of first runnings 18.1
2nd runnings: 4.6
Final brix: 10.6 (1.045 sg)
Added 3 oz of Light DME to bring up gravity to estimated target of 1.054 (0'd out that addition in the design to reflect intentions).
Day 2 (8/10): Fermenting away. Airlock bubbling.
Day 8 (8/16): 7.9 / 1.031. If same tomorrow, I'll bottle ASAP.
Day 15 (8/23): 7.9 / 1.031. Bottling day.
Observations: so my conversion rate was way too low. I think that first Mash mistake completely destroyed the enzymes and I ended up with a very small beer. According to NorthernBrewer ABV calc, 2.25%.
|Download this recipe's BeerXML file|
Thank you for providing all of the details and documentation. I have been wanting to brew small beer batches, at home, but I don’t find a lot of information specific to smaller batch brewing. Will be returning regularly to read. Thank you for the information.